Jan 10, 2010

CIC: Random

Warning: the following post contains random, weird, and just plain silly pictures!
China and America are just different. These differences can make for some interesting photo opportunities.
One difference is in taste:
The above is a McDonald's menu. Look closely. What is that next to the fries? Corn. Yep. Everyone likes a nice cup-o-corn to go with their burger and coke.
Another difference is language:
After you have "illuminated" the bathroom, you might like to "line up a spirit" (otherwise known as turning on the fan).
Yet another difference is transportation:
Do you take a bus to work or school? Is it as crowded as this one? (and this bus wasn't as crowded as some of the ones we rode...)
In the same vein, another difference is crossing the street:
Now, to clarify things, the cars in this picture were travelling at about 55 mph. You have to cross the road like Frogger:
1) Line up the group of people you're with in a wide line as in the picture above, not a single file one.
2) Cross the first lane when it's clear. (This is where Rule 1 is vitally important. If you're in a single file line, the people in the back of the line will get run over.)
3) Continue to cross the lines one at a time, whenever they clear up. Remember to look both ways, even on a one way street.
4) Get to the sidewalk, look both ways for any oncoming traffic (yes, cars can drive on the sidewalk in China), then let out the breath that you've been unconsciously holding this whole time.
5) Most importantly, remember that, unlike Frogger, you only get 1 life. Use it wisely!
Another difference is in personality. I'm sure most Chinese girls wouldn't stuff themselves into a phone booth to take funny pictures, like some American girls that I ran into*:
*Note: I do not know these girls. I am not associated with them in any way, shape, or form.
And I'm sure most Chinese girls wouldn't pile themselves onto a dragon-turtle thingy outside of a restaurant to see if they could all fit on it.*
*Ok, I lied. Those are the other girls from the team. And I did join in the phone booth photos, but all those pictures are on another girl's camera, so I don't have any with me in them. :)
And, finally, the most important lesson that I learned in China:
Rabbits wearing traditional Chinese outfits are dangerous!*
*In the Shanghai airport, waiting for four hours for our flight to City Y, we watched this video hundreds of times. It was about swine flu. This section of the video was saying that being in crowds of people can be dangerous because the germs can spread quickly from person to person.

0 comments:

Post a Comment