Jan 30, 2010

Stranded

So, I can't give you the picture filled post I had planned because I'm stranded! This weekend was supposed to be the busiest one that I've had in a while: a trip to Byhalia on Thursday to speak to a WMU group, a long drive down to Clinton and back for summer missions interviews on Friday, plus a Mid-Winter Retreat Friday night, and some friends coming for school preview day on Saturday. Let me tell you how it really happened...
It was a typical week of school, with a great student-led program at the BSU on Tuesday night. It rolled around to Thursday and a storm was threatening to start that night. Since it wasn't supposed to start until around midnight, my friend and I decided to go to Byhalia anyway. And I'm so glad we did. I love WMU groups. This one was about fifteen women, meeting in one of their homes. They invited me to come speak about my life overseas, and in preparation for hearing about my time in Taiwan, they looked up recipes and made HOMEMADE Chinese food! I was thoroughly impressed. It was delicious! While we ate, I discovered that these women didn't just talk about ministry going on around the world, but they also lived it. One woman drives around town picking up children to take to church. Sometimes, she has to make two trips to get all of them. They also pray fervently for missionaries around the world, spending a portion of their meetings reading about which missionaries are having birthdays and praying for them. I was so excited to spend the evening with them.
My friend and I got safely back to the school before the storm started. The next morning, all the prospective summer missionaries were supposed to drive down four hours to Clinton to be interviewed. We met at the BSU, loaded up into cars, and started out, despite the rain. As we drove, the rain turned into sleet. We kept driving. An hour and a half into the trip, our BSU director called and told us to turn around and come back. It was a little disappointing to drive so far for no reason, but I'm glad we turned back when we did.
We got back to the school, and I drove out to E's house. The Mid-Winter Retreat at the BSU was cancelled, so I decided to spend the night at her house. We settled down to watch a movie, when the electricity went out. So, we found some flashlights and read for a while. The lights came back on, so we started another movie. The electricity went out again! So, we read again until the lights came on again a long while later. Fun times!
While the electricity was on at one point, I checked my email and discovered that the school preview day was cancelled. So, my friends would not be coming down on Saturday.
So, with icy roads and even a dusting of snow on the ground, I'm stranded at E's house. I'm not complaining: home cooked meals, cable television, a friendly dog to pet, no homework to think about. I'm quite content!

0 comments:

Post a Comment